Europe’s biggest song contest’s Grand Finals are this weekend, and things are heating up for the singers participating in the event, as well as for Eurovision enthusiasts across the globe. Whether you are cheering for The Makemakes, the contenders from the host country Austria, striking Ann Sophie from Germany, or stylish Electro Velvet representing the UK it’s time to step up your country pride, your song needs your support! If you aren’t from Europe, Eurovision may be an abstract concept to you, or you may not be familiar with the popular yearly competition at all. To help shed some light on this exciting, competitive, and sometimes hilarious song contest we’ve pulled together a list of the top 5 things you need to know about Eurovision. Read on to learn all about the epic event, and join YouCam Makeup, YouCam Perfect, and Beauty Circle in our ‘European Song & StyleShowdown’ to show your Eurovision support and be entered for a chance to win Beats Headphones and other great prizes!
1. Eurovision is where stars are born…
Many of the singers to participate in the Eurovision competition in previous years have gone on to become global superstars. The list includes Celine Dion, ABBA, and many others!*Photo Credit:
2. The competition is fierce with many memorable moments…
Not only is the singing contest quite competitive, there also seems to be a secondary competition going on to see which contestant can be the most memorable or shocking each year. Some of our favourite moments include…
- Austria's Conchita Wurst and her iconic style (2014)
- Finland's Lordi and their monster music group (2006)
3. Iconic attire always wins...
Eurovision’s hilarious variety of outfits have made history upstaging the music. Sequins, perms, feathers, ridiculous headgear, and superhero costumes – we’ve seen it all. Some of the best styles include…
- Scooch’s PanAm-inspired attire (2014)
- Jedward performed 'Lipstick' wearing matching red crystal-embellished jackets (2011)
- InCulto whipping off their trousers mid-show to reveal these silver glittery hot pants (2010)
- Bucks Fizz's rainbow-inspired outfits (1981)
- ABBA’s knickerbockers with knee-high silver moon boots (1974)
4. You must appreciate Conchita Wurst’s unique style...
In 2014 Conchita Wurst of Austria walked away the Eurivision winner and a global celebrity on account of her unique style which includes stunning makeup and a beard. While growing a beard can be trickier, you can easily recreate her makeup style by watching YouTube Videos or in your YouCam Makeup App!
5. Happy 60th Birthday Eurovision!
The competition is celebrating its’ 60th year in 2015, and is expected to draw more than 180 million viewers worldwide! This glitzy event is growing rapidly each year.
Now that you have the scoop on Eurovision, love it or loathe it, the time has come for you to cheer on your favorite contestant and support your song! Tune into the Grand Finals this weekend, and experience excitement first hand by stepping into the spotlight in our glamorous contest!
Click here to join our European Song & Style Showdown
By using CyberLink softwware, you waive all legal rights over any design or creative work created.